School Health Advisory Council
SHAC is an organized group of parents, community members, and students that are empowered to address issues that impact our children’s health.
A SHAC member can be an advocate for better nutrition. The SHAC is the forum for getting information to the community and parents.
SHAC has the ability to collaborate, educate, persuade and assist in a volunteer capacity.
Healthy students are better learners. The Lufkin ISD Health Advisory Council (SHAC) will work together with school staff, families, agencies, and other interested community members to positively impact health attitudes and behaviors.
The Lufkin ISD SHAC’s purpose is to provide advice to the district on aspects of school health utilizing the “Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child” model, which is a collaborative approach to learning and health: Community Environment Counseling, Psychological and Social Services, Employee Wellness, Family Engagement, Health Education, Health Services, Nutrition Environment and Services, Physical Education & Physical Activity, Physical Environment, Social and Emotional Climate.
- To have an active SHAC: be accountable for SHAC meetings.
- To assist the district ensuring that the local community values are reflected in the district’s health education instruction.
- To provide recommendations to the Board of Trustees regarding all components of the Coordinated School Health Program.
- To become familiar with the responsibilities of the SHAC.
1. Number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education.
2. Curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes through the coordination of:
- Health Education
- Physical Education/ physical activity
- Parent Involvement
- Instruction to prevent the use of tobacco
3. Appropriate grade level and method of instruction for human sexuality instruction.
4. Strategies for integrating the curriculum.
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018
- Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018
- Thursday, Feb. 7, 2019
- Thursday, April 11, 2019
- Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021
- Thursday, April 8, 2021
- Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2021 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, March 8, 2022 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, March 29, 2022 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2022 📄 Agenda 📄 Minutes 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2022 📄 Agenda 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2023 📄 Agenda 📄 Minutes 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, April 11, 2023 📄 Agenda 📄 Minutes 🔈 Audio recording
- Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2023 — 9:30-11 a.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2023 — 9:30-11 a.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2024 — 9:30-11 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 16, 2024 — 9:30-11 a.m.
- School Health Advisory Council membership
- Lufkin Middle School Human Sexuality Curriculum — Goodheart Willcox Middle School Health Skills Companion Text
- Lufkin High School Human Sexuality Curriculum — Goodheart Willcox High School Health Skills Companion Text
- Bylaws (PDF)
- Lufkin ISD Wellness Policy (PDF)
- Square Meals — Texas Department of Agriculture food and nutrition website
- Lufkin ISD Student Nutrition Services
- Lufkin ISD Health Services
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s School Health Index
- Texas Guide to School Health Programs — The Texas Guide to School Health Programs provides guidance and resources for school administrators, school nurses, teachers and other staff members in the development, implementation, and evaluation of school health programs.
- SHAC State Law
- School Health Advisory Councils — School health resources and links provided by the School Health Program at the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Wellness Policy Assessment (PDF)
- Health Snapshot (PowerPoint)
🕚 8 a.m.-5 p.m.