2018 Lufkin ISD Bond Update
The bond has passed. Now what?
Thanks to the outpour of support from the community to build a new middle school, high school multi-purpose facility and high school athletic facilities, 75 million dollars will be used to make these projects a reality. Now that the bond has passed, what are the next steps?
1. HIRE ARCHITECT
A Request For Qualification (RFQ) for an architect to design the projects is the first step. Last week, seven firms toured the facilities and collected information on what the design will be. The RFQ due date is Wednesday, June 6, 2018.
An architect review committee of 5 voting members will then review the RFQ’s and rank their qualifications. The committee will consist of
- 3 Board members, chosen by the Board President
- Purchasing Coordinator (non-voting)
- Chief Financial Officer (non voting)
- Deputy Superintendent
- Director of Maintenance (non-voting)
2. HIRE DISTRICT FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION MANAGER
This person will manage the projects internally. Maintenance staff is not equipped to handle a project of this size and continue the normal responsibilities of their job. The District Facilities Construction Manager will be the liaison between the architect, construction manager, and Lufkin ISD Board of Trustees and administration.
3. CHOOSE A CONSTRUCTION METHOD
The Board will decide on the construction method- there are 7 methods of delivery:
an interlocal contract, competitive bidding, competitive sealed proposals, construction manager-agent, construction manager-at-risk, design build, and job order contract. The method that best serves most school districts is construction manager-at-risk. When the method of delivery is determined,the school district will issue RFQ’s.
4. SURVEY BUILDING SITES
During the survey, the areas for construction will be determined including the location of the high school multi-purpose and athletic facilities.
5. DESIGN THE NEW SCHOOL
Focus group meetings will be held with the architect, administration, teachers, school board members and community members to begin the design. Site visits will be scheduled to other district for innovative ideas and construction design that will work for our project. The design phase should take approximately 6 months.
6. BEGIN BUILDING THE MIDDLE SCHOOL & HIGH SCHOOL FACILITIES
The middle school project can go on simultaneously with the high school projects taking approximately 2 and a half years to complete, and the high school facilities 18 months.
2018 Lufkin ISD Bond Resources
Sample Ballot (PDF file)
Lufkin Middle School history (PDF file)
Lufkin Middle School Master Plan (map in JPEG format)
Lufkin ISD Tax Rate Comparison chart (PDF file)
2018 Lufkin ISD Bond Financial Impact (PDF file)
Lufkin ISD Fiscal Accountability chart (PDF file)
Early Voting Locations
- Lufkin ISD Administration Building, 101 Cotton Square, Lufkin, TX 75904
- Lufkin High School 309 S. Medford Drive, Lufkin, TX 75901
- Anderson Elementary, 381 Champions Drive, Lufkin, TX 75901
- Lufkin Middle School, 900 E. Denman Ave., Lufkin, TX 75901
- Brandon Elementary, 1612 Sayers St., Lufkin, TX 75904
- Slack Elementary, 1305 Fuller Springs Drive, Lufkin, TX 75901
Early Voting Dates and Times
- April 23-24 — 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- April 25 — 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- April 26 — 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- April 27-28 — 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- April 29 — 1-5 p.m.
- April 30 — 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- May 1 — 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Early voting dates and times are for all locations.