Recent columns by Lufkin ISD Superintendent Dr. LaTonya Goffney:
- Board of Trustees selects Lynn Torres as lone finalist for Lufkin ISD Superintendent postThe Lufkin ISD Board of Trustees in a special called meeting Tuesday evening named Deputy Superintendent Lynn Torres as the lone finalist for Superintendent of Schools.
- Message from Dr. Goffney: Thank you for the opportunity to servePeople ask what I am most proud of about my time in Lufkin, and there’s no one single thing I can point to, because there are so many.
- Why it's important to voteI’ll never forget the first time I voted. It was 1995, my senior year in high school. My government teacher, Mr. Cyr, instilled in me the importance of voting and being an educated voter.
- Lufkin High School curriculum offers many choicesWhen I went to school, our choices were very limited. I didn’t have the options afforded to students today.
- Gifts that will last a lifetimeIt’s the holiday season, and through the hustle and bustle of buying presents and all of the festivities, I take the time to reflect on the gifts that really matter, the gifts that are lifelong, the gifts that years from now students will talk about and retell to their children and grandchildren.
- Education has, in fact, made all the differenceI was told that education would make all the difference, and when I stood onstage with the four men who were chosen among the more than a thousand superintendents statewide, I believed it.
- Making the trek to Williamsport, Pa. — 'Because I Said I Would'Alex Sheen began an international movement called “Because I Said I Would” based on the premises of simply keeping your word. My promise was that if the Thundering 13 make it to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, I’ll be there to support them.
- Lufkin schools do their best to help Hurricane Harvey victimsSome of the toughest decisions a school superintendent has to make usually involve issues that are completely out of his or her control — the weather, for instance.