Department of Health and Physical Education
At Lufkin ISD, we want our students to be health literate through gaining the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to be healthy and active for a lifetime.
Health Education as part of the “Coordinated School Health Program” offers planned, sequential Pre K-12 curriculum addressing the physical, mental, emotional and social dimensions of Health. It includes varied subjects such as family health, personal health, community health, injury prevention and safety, sexuality education, nutrition, prevention and control of disease, consumer health and substance use and abuse.
Health is taught through the physical education department in grades K- 5 and Health teachers at the 6th grade level and for one 9-week period in either grades 9-12. Health is taught by trained, certified and qualified teachers.
- Abstinence Plus Programs — “Worth the Wait” and “Big Decisions” are the curriculums taught in 6th grade Health, 7 & 8th grade science class and 9-12 Health classes. Parents must return the school provided consent form to the teacher whether they are opting in or out.
Physical Education as part of the enrichment curriculum and Coordinated School Health Program, provides planned, sequential K-12 curriculum emphasizing cognitive content and learning experiences. It includes varied activities such as basic movement skills, physical fitness, rhythms and dance, games, team, dual and individual sports, tumbling and gymnastic. Physical Education is taught by trained, certified and qualified teachers.
- Fitness Assessment — “Fitness Gram” is administered to all 3-12 grade students. Parents may request a copy of their child’s fitness report by submitting a letter to the Principal before the end of the school year.
Physical Education Resources
- Physical Education TEKS
- Texas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance
Each campus will offer a running club that coordinates and partners with our local fun runs. Zumba, Archery (Elem), Dance, Soccer, Golf, Basketball, Gardening, Cross Fit are just a few of some of our district clubs that are offered.
District Physical Education Events
- Pass, Punt, Kick winners announced — Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, Lufkin vs Monterrey Tech
- Run of the Panthers — Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017
- Lufkin Turkey Trot (Special Needs) — Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017
- City Wide Track Meet — Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Thanks to our Sponsors
- Run of the Panthers — Woodland Heights Medical Center and Brookshire Brothers Food & Pharmacy
- Lufkin Turkey Trot — Regional Physical Therapy Center
- City Wide Track Meet — Academy of Dance & Gymnastics
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes — Cindy Pierce, Gann Medford Agent